FSSAI Registration and License

Online FSSAI Registration and License, Food fssai License and registration

FSSAI Registration and License

One of the short form used for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is FSSAI Registration and License.

FSSAI Registration
Easy documentation
1 step process call us now
Expert help throughout the process
Free Consultation
State License
Easy documentation
1 step process call us now
Expert help throughout the process
Free Consultation
Central License
Easy documentation
1 step process call us now
Expert help throughout the process
Free Consultation

Firstly, FSSAI Registration or Basic license category of FSSAI licensing system is for the food businesses which are new or have the sales of up to Rs.12 Lakhs/year currently.

Secondly, State License is for the food businesses which have an existing annual sales between Rs.12 Lakhs to Rs.20 Crore.

Lastly, the central license is relevant in 3 cases;
1. When a food business has an annual sales more than Rs.20 Crore
2. if food business is either importer or exporter
3. And when the food business has multiple premises in different states

The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)

It has been established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. Which, includes various acts, and orders that have until now handled food related issues in many Ministries and Departments. It has been created for laying down the science-based standard for items of food. And also, to manage their production, storage, delivery, sale and import to ensure the presence of safe and healthful food for human intake.

In short, it is the firm under the control of the government of India and the ministry of health and family affair. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) does not provide certification. But, a license or registration which is a necessary requirement for all Food Business Operators (FBOs) in India.

Under FLRS there are two categories:

1. FSSAI Registration

2. FSSAI Licensing


Basically, registration is kind of a simple registration under fssai which gives you a title that you are a Food Business Operator(FBO). Generally, Registration is for Hawkers, Small retailer, roaming vendor or a temporary stallholder or small scale or cottage or such other. Industry relating to food business or tiny food business operator is exempt from getting FSSAI License. However, all above-mentioned applicant is required to apply for the licensing. Especially, if they have an annual sales from food business above Rs. 12 lakhs per annum.


Licensing means to use the brand in relation with a product, for an agreed period of time, within an agreed area. It is for a Qualified food business operator like a producer, storage, transporters, retailers, marketers, merchants, 100% EOU, airports, ports, central government firms etc.

There are two types of licensing.

1. State License

2. Central License

State License and Central License

It depends upon the Business production, sale, and the area you want to include. For Example, if you want to deal in more than one state you have to apply for the state licensing or like if you are producing a product for Export oriented units only. Then, you have to apply for Central Licensing.

Even if the warehouses are located in the same city but different location then a separate license for each location is required. However, if multiple warehouses are on the same campus, a single license is applicable with campus address.

Yes, all catering establishments, even those under central Government such as Railways, Airport, Seaport, and Defense etc. will have to get a license from FSSAI. In most cases, such establishments need to get FSSAI central license.

Yes, FSSAI license for food activities of any kind including manufacturing, trading, distribution and transportation. Therefore, you shall need a license from FSSAI too.

You will need a Central License for the registered office of your company. And, individual state licenses for each manufacturing unit in particular states.

Yes, FSSAI license is mandatory for both export and import of food products. You will need to apply for FSSAI Central License for your export unit.

Yes, you will be required to obtain a central license from the address contained in the Import Export Code. For import export FSSAI central license is mandatory.

FSSAI license can be renewed 30 days before the expiry of the original license. You need to provide your current license number to LegalRaasta team. We will re-file the Form A and form B for renewal of the application/license. Then, It typically takes 30-40 days for renewal of the license. The government fee is same for renewal as for new license issue.